Welcome to the Directorate of Open, Distance and eLearning simply known as ODeL. The mandate and the rationale for establishing the Directorate of Open, Distance and e-Learning at Tharaka University College are clearly spelt out in the University College vision, mission and policies. It is this mandate that guides the operations of the Directorate of Open, Distance and e-Learning. The Directorate is expected to guide the University College as it endeavors to achieve academic excellence and research that contribute to global transformation.
To create a strong knowledge base through effective and quality online teaching, training, research and innovation and to store and disseminate this knowledge to produce all rounded graduates with problem solving skills for positive global transformation
To oversee online, hybrid and web-enhanced course development for societal transformation.
To provide professional development opportunities for Open, Distance and e-Learning for societal transformation.
To enhance continuous training of staff and students on new developments in Open, Distance and e-Learning for societal transformation.
(1) Analysis Strategies: Needs Analysis, Target Audience (Learner) Analysis, Course Analysis
(2) Design Strategies: Learning Objectives, Sequencing, Instructional, Delivery and Evaluation Strategy
(3) Development Strategies: Content Development, Storyboarding and Courseware Development
(4) Implementation Strategies: Installation/Distribution, Onboarding, Training and Management of Learner Activities
(5) Evaluation Strategies: Course Feedback, Teaching Effectiveness Evaluation, Outcomes measurement.
These strategies work towards the institution’s national developmental agenda of fostering excellence in innovation, research, teaching and dissemination of knowledge for the purpose of transforming the society.
With regard to the National Development Agenda, the ODeL strategy works towards the achievement of the Big 4 Agenda in enhancing Manufacturing, Food Security and Nutrition by facilitating programmes in Mineralogy and Dryland Farming.
All courses at Tharaka University College are also offered under ODeL in the following modes:
Blended Mode : A combination of face-to-face learning and online learning
Fully Online Mode: Online Learning with proctored assessments and examinations